How To Practice: Where the student really learns is at home during practice, and the guitar job is to show students how to teach themselves.
Practicing should be a routine that you try to fit in every day, even if you can only sit down with the guitar for a few minutes. You will find it much more productive to practice a little each day rather than putting it off until a one-night marathon session. The best times to practice are right before and after your guitar lesson, as this keeps what you practiced and what needs to be fixed fresh in your mind.
Below are some links that can help you with your understanding of the guitar as well as some links to sites that will help you understand how music works.
- Here is a metronome to use while practicing your guitar.
- Here is a guitar tuner to use by ear.
- Here is a list of chords to refer to.
- This is an article on the history of the guitar.
- Here’s a page that shows a map of the fretboard.
- Apollo Music is a great local establishment to get your instrument set up or repaired.
- KGB Music specialize in repairing and setting up guitars.
- Liverpool Royal Philharmonic brings world class performers into our area, and provides great activities for students and avid classical guitarists.
Music Theory Resources
Some links to help your general music knowledge: